how it works
if you've lost an item:
1. Post an Item Retrieval Request: go to the "submit a request" tab and fill out the “I lost an item" form.
Provide as much information as possible. The more information you provide, the higher the odds of retrieving your correct item.
We don't require you to post a reward, but the greater the reward money, the higher the odds of retrieving your item. We collect a flat fee of $5 to search for your item. Any extra reward money you send will go as a commission to the "finder" for providing the service.
2. Wait for someone to find it.
Behind the scenes, we're checking all our sources to see if your item is in our system. Hold tight!
3. If someone finds your item, we will notify you immediately. We will also request a Venmo payment from you.
We 100% guarantee all of your money back if you end up not getting your item back.
The item Retrieval Request’s status will be changed from “active” to “in progress”. Others will still be able to claim also have found your item, but we will make it clear to them that the item might’ve already been found.
We will then send you the contact information of the person who has found your item.
4. Set up a meeting with whoever has found your item to be reunited with your item!
5. During the meeting, if you’ve received your correct item, send us an email at telling us you received your item.
It's up to the finder to request that this occurs as this will initiate the reward payment to the finder. You’re all done!
If the item found wasn’t yours, email us“Incorrect item”. Your item Retrieval Request will return to its “active” status. You will be refunded your reward money.
if you've found an item:
1. Let us know!: go to the "submit a request" tab and find the "I found an item" form.
2. Fill out the form. Enter your contact information, including your Venmo account.
3. Once we receive the reward money from the owner of the lost item, we will then send you the contact information of the person who has lost the item.
4. Set up a meeting with whoever has found your item to return their item and collect the reward money!
5. During the meeting, make sure that the owner of the item has told us that they received their item.
Do not leave until you’ve verified that the owner of the item has emailed us that their item is correct. If the item owner does not confirm that they’ve received your item, we cannot guarantee that you will receive the reward money.
You’re all done!
If the item found wasn’t the correct item, return it to where you have found it, or to a “lost and found” nearest to where it was lost. Also, make sure to check on retrieveit.org that no one else has claimed to have lost that item.